So, I've been whipping this slice up, in different variations, for a few weeks now. I found the original recipe somewhere (I think if you google paleo date slice it comes up...) but I've tweaked it quite a bit.
I've done it with almond meal, spelt flour, hazelnut meal, coconut, and buckwheat flour.
The best tasting one was 1 cup hazelnut meal and 1 cup desiccated coconut. Yum.
You will need:
- About 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- Maple syrup/ stevia/ rice malt syrup to taste
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 1/2 cup nuts of choice (salted almonds are deeeeeelish, but I've been using pecans lately)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup desiccated coconut/ almond meal/ hazelnut meal
- 1 cup buckwheat/ spelt flour
(Or any combo of those really, they all seem to work out really well!)
Pre heat fan forced oven to 180c. Melt the coconut oil with the syrup/ stevia until well combined. This can be done in the microwave or on the stove.
Add chopped dates and nuts, stir to combine
Add flours/meals/coconut and egg, mix until well combined and you have a sort of dough-batter.
Press into a lined square 20cm x 20cm tin and bake for around 15-20 mins.
It should come out crispy but moist.
It will keep in the fridge for about 5 days to a week.